Open Water Scuba Instructor
PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course
Are you looking for something extraordinary? To do something others can only dream of? To help people transform their lives? To open doors you didn’t even know existed? All of this, and more, awaits you as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
View the Instructor Development Calendar
The Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program is one of two distinct components of PADI’s Instructor Development Course (IDC)—the core of PADI Instructor training. The first portion is the Assistant Instructor course followed by the Open Water Scuba Instructor program.
The OWSI program is a minimum of four days. It introduces you to the entire PADI System of diver education and concentrates on further developing your abilities as a professional dive educator.
It’s about life transformations—both yours and those around you.
The fun part of instructor training is interacting with course participants while creating friendships that continue long after the course concludes.
You’ll begin networking with other professionals and begin to explore PADI Pro Diving Jobs worldwide. You’ll also have the opportunity to continue your professional education by participating in specialty instructor courses, which train you to teach specialties after instructor certification.
Get College Credit
You may be able to earn college credit for the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor course.
The Challenging Part
The challenging part of this course is your personal commitment to the training. The course requires you to complete all the self-study Knowledge Reviews before the course begins and to prepare daily assignments for teaching presentations daily. Organization and dedication are key.
During the course you’ll learn how to apply the PADI System of Education by presenting at least
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentations integrating two skills
You will also attend and participate in the following 14 curriculum presentations:
- Course Orientation
- Dive Industry Overview
- General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Course
- Adaptive Teaching
- The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy
- Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Specialty Diver Courses and Master Scuba Diver Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Diver Retention Programs
- How to Teach the RDP (Instructors from recreational diver training organizations other than PADI must complete.)
You will demonstrate competence at
- performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation.
- performing a facedown, nonstop swim for 800 metres/yards using a mask, snorkel and fins.
During the course you’ll need to demonstrate competency in Dive theory by passing a five-part theory exam scoring 75% on each part .
What You Can Teach
After becoming an Open Water Scuba Instructor, you will be able to conduct the entire range of PADI programs from Discover Scuba Diving up to Divemaster. You may also choose to acquire specialty instructor ratings in areas of interest, such as Digital Underwater Photographer or Enriched Air Diver.
At a glance, compare what you can teach when you continue your professional diver education.
The Scuba Gear You Use
You will need to equip yourself with all the basic scuba gear as well as two scuba signaling devices —one audible and one visual.
Check with your local dive shop to purchase equipment needed for the course.
The Learning Materials You Need
The PADI Instructor Development Course crewpak includes all the materials needed to prepare for the Instructor Development Course. The 23-item pack includes:
- Instructor cue cards for PADI’s core courses (Open Water and Advanced, Rescue and Divemaster)
- Instructor Development Course Candidate Workbook and related reference materials,
- Lesson planning slates for confined and open water
- Quiz and exam booklets for the core courses
- Specialty outlines for Project AWARE
- PADI Instructor Manual
Cost : To be confirm